EHP Member FAQs


Where can I find specific information about my benefits?

To find specific information about what’s covered by your plan, use the EHP Benefits Explorer.

How do I receive a replacement identification (ID) card?

Contact Customer service at 410-424-4450 or 1-800-261-2393; or request one online, through your HealthLINK account. Please allow 7-10 business days for your ID card to arrive.

What is HealthLINK@Hopkins?

It’s our online health information portal. It is free to use and allows you secure, 24/7 access to your health information. We have a FAQ and log on instructions available.

How do I obtain a listing of PCPs and Specialists that participate with EHP?

Use the Provider Search Tool or contact Customer Service at 1-800-261-2393 or 410-424-4450.

How do I change my Primary Care Physician (PCP)?

You can change your PCP by calling an EHP Customer Service Representative at 1-800-261-2393 or 410-424-4450 or by filling out and faxing back the Change your PCP form. You can also change or designate your PCP by logging into your HealthLink@Hopkins account. Your approved PCP change will become effective the day EHP is notified.

When should I go to the emergency department and how are emergency services covered?

An emergency medical situation is one in which a prudent layperson determines that immediate care is needed as the result of a sudden and serious illness or injury; and care is required to prevent:

  • permanently placing your health in danger;
  • causing other serious medical consequences;
  • causing serious impairment to bodily functions; or
  • causing serious permanent dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.

For treatment of an emergency medical situation as described above, your care will be covered, regardless of whether or not the emergency room facility participates in the EHP Network. ER co-pays will be waived if you are admitted. However, if you go to the emergency room for services that are not deemed sudden and serious, payment will not be made.

Is my newborn automatically enrolled?

No. If you have a newborn baby, you must enroll the newborn within 30 days from the date of birth. Please contact your Benefits Service Center or your Human Resources Office to do so.

Who do I contact to change my personal information?

Please contact your Benefits Service Center or your Human Resources Office.

Who has access to my personal health information (PHI)?

The employees at EHP, who have signed confidentiality agreements, have access. You may also complete an Authorization For Use Or Disclosure Of My Protected Health Information form, which allows anyone you choose to access your information, e.g. spouse, adult child, etc. Please see the HIPAA Privacy page for further information and forms.

Where can I find information about Mental Health Parity?

Please email if you have questions or need information related to Mental Health Parity.

What is a Pre-Authorization?

Certain medical services and supplies require approval before they will be covered by your plan. Your Schedule of Benefits indicates which services, supplies or medications require pre-authorization. All pre-authorization requests are coordinated through your physician’s office, so your provider must ask for and receive approval before you receive care. Johns Hopkins EHP will review the service, drug or equipment for medical necessity. If pre-authorization is not given, then coverage for care, services or supplies may be limited or denied. Any costs for denied services that were the result of an in-network provider failing to receive pre-authorization are not your responsibility. For more information on pre-authorization guidelines through your EHP plan, refer to your EHP Benefits Explorer.

What is a Referral?

A referral is a written order from your primary care provider (PCP) giving you permission to see a specialist or receive certain medical services. Before you can see a specialist and be covered for that care, you will need a referral from your PCP. For information on getting a referral for care, refer to your EHP Benefits Explorer.

What is a Site of Service?

Site of service is a term used to indicate the facility in which you receive care. Many surgical procedures can be performed safely in an outpatient hospital setting, such as an ambulatory surgery center (ASC). Certain procedures require pre-authorization when performed in an outpatient hospital setting. For information on covered outpatient services, refer to your EHP Benefits Explorer.

How do I find out more information about medication pre-authorization?

Some medications require pre-authorization from our plan before they can be dispensed by your pharmacy. This helps us ensure that your prescriptions are medically necessary. To determine if a medication requires pre-authorization, refer to the Advanced Control Formulary. Information about covered medications, medication pre-authorization requirements and pharmacy plan benefits are available here.

When do I need to submit claims?

If you receive care from an in-network provider, that provider will submit the claim. However, if you receive out-of-network care, you are required to pay for the service, and then submit a claim form, as soon as possible to Johns Hopkins EHP for reimbursement. Most plan members have one year from the date of service to submit their receipts. Refer to your Summary Plan Description (SPD) to see if this applies to you. The medical/vision claims forms are available online (, at your Human Resources office, or by calling Johns Hopkins EHP Customer Service.

Fill out the demographic information and attach a copy of the receipts or invoices associated with the claim to the form. It’s absolutely necessary to include all receipts, invoices (charges for services received), along with dates of service, diagnosis and procedure codes in order for Johns Hopkins EHP to properly process the claim.

You can submit your claims:

Login on your HealthLINK portal. Click “Claims Reimbursement Form” under the “My Health Plan” tab, click “Member Reimbursement Form” and fill it out.
View step-by-step guide.

By Mail:
Johns Hopkins EHP
7231 Parkway Drive, Suite 100
Hanover, Maryland 21076

How do I file a complaint?

If you have a complaint about EHP, you can call EHP Customer Service at 1-800-261-2393 or mail the complaint to:
Johns Hopkins HealthCare LLC
Attn: Complaints and Grievances Department, Johns Hopkins EHP
7231 Parkway Drive, Suite 100
Hanover, MD 21076

What is an EOB?

An EOB is an Explanation of Benefits. For more information about EOB, refer to the Explanation of Benefits Guide.